Guide to Car Buying
When purchasing a car in another country:
- Ask around for places to look- dealers, traders, online, auction. I used TradeMe, the Ebay of NZ
- When looking online, make sure you double check what unit the mileage is in, kilometers or miles
- Find out about the registration process: what is required to purchase a car, how much it will cost, where to register, etc.
- Take it for a test drive! Get it looked over by a mechanic if possible
- Take someone with you on the test drive. They may have additional questions and it is safer
- Figure out how to pay for it before you have to pay for it. Will you use the ATM for cash? What are the daily limits? Will you use a check? Will you use a bank transfer? Do you have enough money?
- What are the license requirements? Can you use your original license or do you need a new one?
- Ask questions! Ask about previous work done to the car, leaks, number of previous owners, ect. Google for some good ones to ask
- Figure out where you will park it once it is yours
- Will the car suit your needs? What are you going to do with it and will it make it?
- Might be a good idea to get a cheaper car first to make sure it is something that makes sense, both practically and financially, before purchasing a nicer one.
- Get insurance, even if it is not required